Professor Stan Miklavcic
|Position:||Director: Phenomics and Bioinformatics Research Centre|
|Division/Portfolio:||Division of Information Technology, Engineering and the Environment|
|School/Unit:||School of Information Technology and Mathematical Sciences|
|Campus:||Mawson Lakes Campus|
|Telephone:||+61 8 830 23788|
|Fax:||+61 8 830 25785|
|URL for Business Card:||http://people.unisa.edu.au/Stan.Miklavcic|
For a complete list of all of my publications (journal articles, papers in conference proceedings and book chapters) please refer to my individual author link on Google Scholar.
I am Professor in Applied Mathematics and Director of the Phenomics and Bioinformatics Research Centre (PBRC). I am also a nominated Specified Personnel of The Australian Centre for Plant Functional Genomics (an ARC-GRDC co-funded, national research centre) and member of its Node Management Group.
- Partial Differential Equations
- Mathematical Methods
- Mathematical Modeling
|MATH 3035||Methods of Applied Mathematics 2|
|MATH 4041||Computational Biology|
|MATH 3012||Mathematics Project 1|
|MATH 3013||Mathematics Project 2|
Fellow, Australian Mathematical Society (FAustMS)
Member (Lifetime), Swedish Mathematical Society (MSMS)
Adjunct Professor of Applied Mathematical Physics, University of Linkoping, Sweden.
Member, The Royal Australian Chemical Institute (MRACI)
B.Sc. (Hons.) in Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Mechanics, University of NSW (1985) (Honours First Class).
Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics and Statistical Mechanics, Australian National University (1989)
University Medal, University of NSW, 1985
Commonwealth Postgraduate Research Award, Australian National University, 1985
Docent, University of Lund, 1993
Queen Elizabeth II Research Fellow, Australian Research Council, 1996
J.G. Russell Award, Australian Academy of Science, 1998
Fellow, Australian Mathematical Society, 2011
- Mathematical Modelling (esp. of biological and physical chemical systems);
- Plant Biophysics
- Mathematical Methods in Physics, Chemistry and Biology;
- Theoretical Colloid and Surface Science (surface forces, electrokinetics, double layer theory, physics of macromolecules);
- Fluid Dynamics and Hydrodynamic Stability;
- Inequalities & their applications (esp. to dynamic and static stability problems);
(i) Refereed Journal Publications (2001 - present)
30) J. Cai, M.R. Golzarian and S.J. Miklavcic (2011) Novel image segmentation based on machine learning and its application to plant analysis, Int. J. Inform & Electronics Eng., 1, 79-84.
29) M.R. Golzarian, J. Cai, R. Frick and S.J. Miklavcic (2011) Segmentation of cereal plant images using level set methods - A comparative study, Int. J. Inform & Electronics Eng., 1, 72-78.
28) A. Torokhti and S.J. Miklavcic (2011) Filtering of infinite sets of stochastic signals: An approach based on interpolation techniques, Signal Processing, 91, pp2556-2566 doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2011.05.008.
27) J. Aarao, B.H. Bradshaw-Hajek, S.J. Miklavcic, D.A. Ward (2011) Numerical implementation of the extended-domain-eigenfunction method for modified Helmholtz boundary value problems on annular domains, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 235, 1342-1353 (doi:10.1016/j.cam.2010.08.022).
26) A. Torokhti and S.J. Miklavcic (2010) Data compression under constraints of causality and variable finite memory, Signal Processing, 90(10), 2822-2834.
25) J. Aarao, B.H. Bradshaw-Hajek, S.J. Miklavcic, D.A. Ward (2010) The extended-domain-eigenfunction method for solving elliptic boundary value problems with annular domains, Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical, 43, DOI:10.1088/1751-8113/43/18/185202.
24) B.H. Bradshaw-Hajek, S.J. Miklavcic, L.R. White (2010) The actual dielectric response function for a colloidal suspension of spherical particles, Langmuir, 26(11), 7875-7884.
23) B.H. Bradshaw-Hajek, S.J. Miklavcic, L.R. White (2010) High frequency behavior of the dynamic mobility and dielectric response of concentrated colloidal dispersions, Langmuir, 26(3), pp1656-1665.
22) A. Torokhti and S.J. Miklavcic (2009) Data compression and de-compression by causal filters with variable finite memory, in Advanced Technologies, Chp 33, pp631-654.
21) B.H. Bradshaw-Hajek, S.J. Miklavcic, L.R. White (2009) Dynamic dielectric response of concentrated colloidal suspensions: comparison between theory and experiment, Langmuir, 25(4), pp1961–1969.
20) A. Torokhti and S.J. Miklavcic (2008) Compression and filtering of random signals under constraint of variable memory, Int J. Comp. Sci. 3, 113-118.
19) B.H. Bradshaw-Hajek, S.J. Miklavcic, L.R. White (2008) Frequency-dependent electrical conductivity of concentrated dispersions of spherical colloidal particles, Langmuir, 24(9), pp4512-4522.
18) S. Ahualli, A. Delgado, S.J. Miklavcic and L.R. White (2007) "Use of a cell model for the evaluation of the dynamic mobility of spherical silica suspensions ", Journal of Colloid Interface Science, 309, pp342-349.
17) L. Yang, S.J. Miklavcic and B. Kruse (2007) Qualifying the arguments used in the derivation of the revised Kubelka-Munk theory, J. Optical Soc. Am. A, 24, pp557-560.
16) S.J. Miklavcic and E. Said (2006) The electrostatic potential and double layer force in a semiconductor-electrolyte-semiconductor heterojunction, Physical Review E, 74, Art. No. 061606-1:12.
15) S.J. Miklavcic and L.R. White (2006) Stable van der Waals-induced deformations of the air-water interface. Theoretical predictions and a suggestion for an experiment, Langmuir, 22, pp6961-6968
14) S. Ahualli., A. Delgado, S.J. Miklavcic and L.R. White (2006) "Dynamic electrophoretic mobility of concentrated dispersions of spherical particles. On the consistent use of the cell model", Langmuir, 22, pp7041-7051
13) F.P.-A. Cortat and S.J. Miklavcic (2005) Fluid shape determination by the Rayleigh-Ritz minimization method, ANZIAM Journal, 47, ppC776-C802.
12) F.P.-A. Cortat and S.J. Miklavcic (2005) Application of the variational calculus to wetting phenomena in chemical engineering, ANZIAM Journal, 47, ppC894-C914.
11) L. Yang and S.J. Miklavcic (2005) Revised Kubelka-Munk theory III. A general theory of light propagation in scattering and absorptive media, J. Optical Soc. Am. A, 22, pp1866-1873.
10) L. Yang and S.J. Miklavcic (2005) "A theory of light propagation incorporating scattering and absorption in turbid media, Optics Letters, 30, 792-794.
9) L. Yang, B. Kruse and S.J. Miklavcic (2004) The revised Kubelka-Munk theory II. A unified framework for homogeneous and inhomogeneous optical media, J. Optical Soc. Am. A, 21, pp1942-1952.
8) F.P.A. Cortat and S.J. Miklavcic (2004) Using stable and unstable profiles to deduce deformation limits of the air-water interface, Langmuir, 20, pp3208-3220.
7) F.P.A. Cortat and S.J. Miklavcic (2003) "How closely can a solid approach an air-water surface without becoming wet?", Physical Review E., 68, Art. No. 052601-1:4.
6) P.J. Attard and S.J. Miklavcic (2003) "Effective spring constant of bubbles and droplets", Langmuir, 19, p2532. (Additions and Corrections).
5) S.J. Miklavcic (2003) On the stability of the planar air-water interface under a van der Waals surface force, J. Phys A: Mathematical and General, 36, pp8829-8850.
4) S.J. Miklavcic and P. Attard (2002) Sufficient conditions for the stability and instability of a fluid boundary subjected to local stress, Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and General, 35, pp4335-4347.
3) P.J. Attard and S.J. Miklavcic (2002) "Effective spring description of a bubble or a droplet interacting with a particle", J. Coll. Interface Science, 247, pp255-257.
2) P.J. Attard and S.J. Miklavcic (2001) Effective spring constant of bubbles and droplets, Langmuir, 17, pp8217-8223.
1) S.J. Miklavcic and P. Attard (2001) The equilibrium shape of an axisymmetric sessile drop subject to local stresses, Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and General, 34, pp7849-7866.
(ii) Refereed Conference Proceedings (2001 - present)
9) J. Cai, M.R. Golzarian and S.J. Miklavcic (2011) "Novel image segmentation using Gaussian mixture models -- Application to plant phenotypic analysis", in International Conference on Signal Acquisition and Processing. IEEE Computer Society, February 2011, pp. 308–312.
8) M.R. Golzarian, J. Cai, R. Frick and S.J. Miklavcic (2011) "A comparative evaluation of level set algorithms with applications for the segmentation of narrow-leaf images", in International Conference on Signal Acquisition and Processing. IEEE Computer Society, February 2011, pp. 282–286.
7) A. Torokhti and S.J. Miklavcic (2009) "Filtering and compression of signals under constraint of memory" Proc. of the 6th Int. Conf. on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics, Milan Italy, 2-5 July 2009.
6) A. Torokhti and S.J. Miklavcic (2008) "Compression and filtering of random signals under constraint of variable memory" Proc. of World Academy of Sci., Eng. & Tech., Vol. 30, July 2008, ISSN 1307-6884, pp. 768-773.
5) F.P.-A. Cortat and S.J. Miklavcic (2007) "Fluid shape determination by the Rayleigh-Ritz minimization method" EMAC Proc. 2005, Eds. R.L. May and W.F. Blythe, pp C776-C802.
4) F.P.-A. Cortat and S.J. Miklavcic (2007) "Application of the variational calculus to wetting phenomena in chemical engineering" EMAC Proc. 2005, Eds. R.L. May and W.F. Blythe, pp C682-C702.
3) S.J. Miklavcic, A. Zita and P. Arvidsson (2004) "Computational real-time sound synthesis of rain" Proc. of the 7th Int. Conf. on Digital Audio Effects (DAFX-04) Naples, Italy, Oct 5-8 2004, ISBN: 88-901479-0-3, pp169-172.
2) S.J. Miklavcic and J. Ericsson (2004) "Practical implementation of the 3D tetrahedral TLM method and visualization of room acoustics" Proc. of the 7th Int. Conf. on Digital Audio Effects (DAFX-04) Naples, Italy, Oct 5-8 2004, ISBN: 88-901479-0-3, pp262-267.
1) S.J. Miklavcic (2003) "On the stability of free surfaces with imposed non-contact stress" EMAC Proc. 2003, ISBN: 1-86365-533-6, Eds. R.L. May and W.F. Blythe, 153-158.
The complete list of my journal, conference and book chapter publications can be found on my individual researcher Google Scholar site.
Plant image analysis for the development of stress tolerant crops, 2010-2013
Premier's Science Research Fund (SA)
SJ Miklavcic, M Tester, A van den Hengel, D Lun
Anomalous interfacial air bubble dynamics: the importance of electrokinetic effects in thin film drainage, 2009-2011
Australian Research Council Discovery Grant
RG Horn, SJ Miklavcic
Evaluating modern printing inks: the behaviour of charged particles in concentrated non-aqueous colloidal suspensions, 2007-2010
Australian Research Council Linkage Grant
RG Horn, SJ Miklavcic, AB Ozerov
Modeling of flow and interaction dynamics in multi-phase dispersions, 2007-2009
Swedish Research Council Grant
Mathematical Modelling (esp. of fluid dynamics, physical chemical and biological systems)
Mathematical Applications in Colloid and Surface Science
Theoretical Acoustics and Optics
Fluid Dynamics and Hydrodynamic Stability
Partial Differential Equations
Kylie Foster (UniSA). Thesis title: "Whole-of-plant study of salinity tolerance: a mathematical modelling approach"
Josh Chopin (UniSA). Thesis title: "Mathematical and computational modelling for the phenotypic analysis of cereal plants"
Bogdan Masznicz (UniSA). Thesis title: "Development of ontologies for plant phenotyping"
Dale Ward (UniSA, 2012). Thesis title: "E.D.E.M. Extended Domain Eigenfunction Method."
Change | Staff home page help